Notes is part of the Information Manager suite of productivity tools, designed to leverage your investment in Sage 300 by making relevant information available when you need it, how you need it and where you need it.
Custom notes linked to Sage 300 screens and fields
What you need to know, where and when you need it
A platform for further customization of Sage 300
Why use it?
Do your staff regularly refer to information outside Sage 300, such as post-it notes and other documentation, to help them with their tasks?
- Are your efforts to increase collaboration being stifled by having key information held in ways that don’t facilitate sharing of knowledge?
- Would you like to have relevant and contextual alerts, procedural instructions or other information presented where and when it’s needed, flexible enough to include images and hyperlinks, and all stored and managed within Sage 300?
What is it?
Notes enables you to attach context and data sensitive electronic notes to Sage 300 (Accpac) fields, telling your users what they need to know, where and when they need it.
- Notes can be linked to just about any Sage 300 data, e.g. to specific users, customers, items, batches or transactions
- Notes can appear every time the linked data is displayed, or be restricted to specific screens
- Notes can comprise not just plain text, but also rich text, hyperlinks and even small images
When combined with other Orchid products, Notes provides a powerful platform for further customization of Sage 300, e.g.:
- Use with Document Management Link to show contextual notes alongside links to related documents (e.g. Purchase Orders, Invoices, or Product Specifications)
- Use with Optional Tables to display structured data
- Use with Extender to display the changes to monitored fields, or other relevant data through the use of custom scripts
Business Scenario Examples
- Procedural notes to guide data entry – great for educating inexperienced users
- Customer-specific notes, e.g. during Order Entry note that this Customer doesn’t accept deliveries after 3pm
- Item-specific notes, e.g. during Purchase Order entry note that this product is on special discount, or requires inspection upon receipt, or Model 123 is being replaced by Model 456
- Dual-key Notes, e.g. Customer X has special labelling requirements for shipments of Item Y
- Notes to support GL Budget entry, e.g. by account and date
- Configure Extender to create a Note alerting users that a customer has been placed on hold, or that their credit limit has been changed
- Configure a Note that executes and displays the result of a custom Extender Script. E.g. list open orders for a customer and allow drill through to the order from the O/E Shipment screen, or call an external application to calculate freight cost based on Ship-To address, and display the result in a Note.
How it Works
Configuration & Customization
You control not just what is displayed, but also where, how and to whom:
- Specify which Sage 300 field labels will trigger the display of Notes
- Optionally specify which screens will trigger the display of Notes
- Set display characteristics (e.g. Alert Box, auto pop-up, flashing tray icon)
- Set up role-based rules to target messages to the right people, and control who can add, edit, or delete Notes.
Viewing, Adding and Editing Notes
When the user opens a Sage 300 screen or transaction record, any existing Notes relevant to their role that have been linked to fields on that screen will appear in the Alert Box. Edit and/or New buttons are presented in the Alert Box, subject to any role-based restrictions that have been configured, allowing users to maintain Notes without leaving the Sage 300 screen.
If Notes have been configured for a screen but none currently exist, a blank Note icon will be displayed on the screen’s menu bar, and can be clicked to initiate entry of a new Note. Alternatively, a pop-up window can automatically prompt for entry of a new Note.
Using Notes with Extender
Notes and Orchid Extender are perfect companions. You can:
- Configure Extender to create a Note when a data-related event occurs.
- Configure Notes to trigger the execution of an Extender Script, the result of which will be displayed in the Notes Alert Box.
Extender Scripts offer almost limitless customization opportunities. E.g. retrieve data on the fly, generate conditional notes, even display data from other systems. You can develop your own custom Python scripts or try out our sample Extender Scripts for Notes. Sample scripts are included when you install the product, and are also available for download from the Partner Resources area of our website.
- Save time and improve customer service by having information readily available where it’s needed, rather than having to search for it
- Improve data accuracy and support on-the-job training, with pop-ups displaying contextual data entry guidelines
- No more looking up Operations Manuals, or searching for lost reminders
- Improved collaboration, and support for multi-site operations, through better information sharing
- A platform for further customisation when combined with Extender and other Orchid products
- Link Notes to any Sage 300 field (except for check-boxes or drop-down selections), including Grid fields
- Link Notes to up to two fields - e.g. vendor and item - to filter selection
- Store multiple Notes for the same field, and configure which will be displayed
- Role-based rules to control who can view, add, edit or delete various Note Types
- Configurable Note colours, e.g. to indicate importance and attract attention.
- Notes can include hyperlinks or small images, e.g. pictures of products
- Options and utilities to import Notes from a CSV file, or convert from Zippy Notes
- Automatic pop-up of Notes, and/or access them via a Note Icon or function key
- Pin Alert Box to the associated screen, or unpin (e.g. to display on a separate monitor)
- Operates with all Sage 300 modules – as well as 3rd party modules developed in the SDK
Notes 2017 requires Sage 300 2017 System Manager. Orchid Extender is required to use “Extender Script” Note Type, or to create a Note from an Extender Event. Orchid Optional Tables is required to use “InfoSet” Note Type.